US DIRECTOR OF MARKETING
Full-time position supporting the co-founders
Start Date: August/September 2021
About Us: Karana is a venture-backed plant-based food start-up based in Singapore, we’re rapidly expanding to new markets, including the US. We tap the power of whole-plants to make food you can feel good about eating more of. Using innovative techniques we bring out the best in plants that are sustainably sourced and naturally meat-like to create meat from whole-plants. That means you can kiss goodbye to ingredients lists longer than your attention span..
Unlike many other players in the plant-based food space, we are focused on whole plant ingredients at the core of our product and enhancing them with technology. We are doing this to create a sustainable food system for both the planet and our health! Yes, it's a big mission, but one we're confident in and have already launched in multiple markets. But…we need more like-minded people to help get our message out there. If this sounds like you, please keep reading
We were founded in Singapore in 2018 and are on the cusp of massive expansion. So, we're looking for an exceptional & experienced Director of Marketing who is ready to take their next career step at a purposeful early-stage start-up (in a high-growth category).
About You: Confident in your capabilities, looking to draw upon your skills and experience to lead and execute our growth and marketing strategy. Also, open to learning and new experiences as they are, of course, part of startup life. We are a small company looking to empower our employees hoping to find those who take the initiative, own their scope of work and truly put their skills and experience to the test. We are not a large matrix organisation, so decision making is lean and fast—no micromanaging or box-ticking efforts. A lot of opportunity to grow with the company as we scale and build out the team and organisation.
You will be a crucial member of the KARANA team helping shape the business and marketing team as we expand and grow.
Primary Purpose of Role: Develop and lead marketing strategy and execution for a fast growing and mission driven start-up, using your knowledge and customer insights to deliver world-class, effective campaigns and initiatives that build brand engagement and drive sales.
Key Relationships – Internal: Co-Founders, Chief Science. Officer, Product development team, Supply chain team, Business Development / Sales leadership team, Marketing and Strategic Advisors.
Key Relationships – External: Creative & Public Relations Agencies, Freelancers (Creative and Production), our customers, Distributors, Key Retail partners, Key Food-service partners, Consumer media, Packaging suppliers, Nutrition consultants.
- Develop and execute customer-centric strategies and marketing plans
- Drive North American expansion and help develop GTM strategy
- Manage a global portfolio spanning North America and APAC
- · Develop and execute marketing and communications strategies to increase brand awareness, engagement and drive consumer demand. Communication campaigns to span traditional media, digital, social media and trade.
- Managing annual marketing budget(s).
- Source and work with, and manage external agencies and designers to develop content, brand assets, and experiences that delight our customers, including Identify top copywriting talent to sharpen our brand’s personality & tone of voice
- Turn qualitative and quantitative customer and category insights into recommendations that move the business forward
- Work cross functionally to drive product development, growth of the brand, and that of KARANA
- Develop and execute volume driving activity, events, promotions in both food-service and retail channels.
- Drive communication to engage our key trade customers, building stakeholder support to drive their business and the sale of our brand.
- Daily management and execution of various below-the-line activities including merch, POS, direct mail campaigns, trade shows etc.
- Oversee social media and digital content, ensuring production of high quality monthly content, engagement plans and daily community management.
- Seek out and manage influencer & content creator partnerships, including the briefing and onboarding of partners.
- Input and oversee shopper marketing and e-commerce strategy to drive customer and consumer engagement and drive sales rate.
- Brand and sales reporting, analysing performance and market trends to inform sales and operational decisions.
- Deliver high-level internal communication to ensure alignment across departments, in particular between marketing and sales teams. Spending time in the field, understanding sales requirements, trends and consumer insights. Sales support, enablement, and collateral development
- Assisting the co-founders in achieving the marketing, public relations and promotional goals of the company.
- Measure results by developing target KPIs, and drive and manage initiatives to achieve targeted KPIs within budget.
- Opportunity to grow a top tier team of internal and external talent to support our marketing efforts as we scale
- You're highly organised, proactive, and enjoy rolling your sleeves up in a fast-paced team environment. Marketing experience in food CPG would be great, but if you can prove you've got what it takes to do the job, then we're ready to be convinced. You're a strong communicator and have the grit to work in a fast paced start-up. Ultimately, have what it takes to be a valuable ambassador of the brand, led by your aligned desire to be a good human, do good things with great people whilst also having fun along the way.
- You are aligned with our mission and hungry to make a positive impact on the world.
- 5+ years of proven marketing success and experience, including consumer products/services;
- Entrepreneurial spirit; experience with start-ups/rapidly growing brands/products preferred
- We're a venture backed start-up with some fantastic products and a clear mission; you have the innovation, grit, skills, and some real-world experience to successfully navigate this life stage and scale with the organisation.
- Ability to work independently, comfortable with change in a fast-paced environment, and can blast through obstacles and do what it takes to succeed
- Strong knowledge of all aspects of the marketing mix, including research, insight development, brand positioning, advertising & communications, Public Relations (PR), promotional campaigns, partnerships, influencer marketing, and new product launches
- Up-to-date with current social, digital and traditional marketing trends and features
- Strong understanding of audience targeting, media optimisation, SEO, analytics, and content marketing
- Data driven and analytical in your approach
- Demonstrated consumer-led mindset while taking other stakeholders' perspective (shopper, food-service, retail partners, etc.)
- You enjoy interacting with consumers, and can be regularly found in stores/restaurants, or poking around your friends' kitchens, asking customers why they bought that. You get that marketing is a blend of art and science.
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate and work cross-functionally, and to manage both analytical and creative teams
- Resourcefulness to improvise and adapt to deal with daily challenges via creative problem solving.
- People management experience a plus
- Global market experience a plus
- Language skills a plus
- Willingness to travel
- A competitive salary and stock options
- We take care of our employees and offer a benefits package
- Unlimited annual leave
- Laidback and fun work environment
- Opportunity to grow professionally with fast growing start-up
- First tastes of some of the most cutting edge meats made from whole-plants